Skip to main content

I want to know what it felt like.



Anyone who knows me beyond face value knows that music is a big piece of my life. Through our personal evolution in life we go through different stages where our interests wane and shift - there are few things that are constant. As I've crept further from my college years I've become less reliant on technology and devices I used to hold so dear and now use them to expand my love for music. Example - I'm streaming a Bon Iver concert on my laptop and casting it to my TV. I haven't turned on my cable in over a week.

It's hard to describe the feeling you get when the precisely placed notes of a melody you love announce themselves to your eardrums, but you know the feeling. It's a feeling I wish I could bottle up and apply to other parts of life. I can throw on a CD (remember those?) or a record and instantly be taken to the place or the setting I was in when I first heard those notes. Several weekends ago I was in New Orleans for a bachelor party (future blog post) with friends I've known as long ago as 1st grade. Several of us were in the kitchen sippin' on some brews when O.A.R.'s 'Crazy Game of Poker' came on. Say what you will about that band (cough cough, sell outs), but they, in part, help defined my high school years.

The moment the audience in the song started cheering we knew exactly what song it was after hundreds of listens over the years. Those of us in the room looked at each other and had this euphoric remembrance that took us back to Friday night poker at Andy's house. That's the feeling. Just like a film scorer lays out the audio and soundtrack for a movie, we subconsciously assign music, bands, songs, etc. to particular moments of our lives. That feeling of being transported back to a time and a place is special and what makes music so important to me.

---

I want to know what it felt like when people first heard Dark Side of the Moon. I want to know what it sounded like when 'Speak to Me/Breathe' began and the album progressed into the synth-heavy 'On the Run.' I can tell you what it felt like for me, but I grew up and continue to grow in a time where different sounds are normal thanks to the Internet and a connected world. Things were different in 1973. I want to know what it felt like to be sitting in a Pontiac Grand Am underneath a blanket of stars when all of a sudden the ticking clocks in 'Time' started playing on the radio.

I guess I'll go watch Dazed and Confused.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When is it acceptable to feel old?

Yesterday was Memorial Day and a friend and I cruised down to Oak Street Beach like we usually do when the weather breaks. Winter's hibernation is over - it's time to enjoy another summer in Chicago. After a quick lunch at Shake Shack we walked up Michigan Ave. First bad sign: loads of teenagers standing near the Drake. Second bad sign: police doing bag checks before the tunnel Third bad sign: teens as far as the eye could see on the beach When you're in beach mode there's no turning back. We walked our way past the sand courts, through a few groups of people, and marked our territory near two similarly-aged women (there weren't many of us). I bust out some watermelon, pull out my Grateful Dead book, and put in my headphones. I took a quick look around and saw nothing but teenyboppers. Here's the problem - I was a teenager once, so I'm not anti-teenager - but when you mix teenagers from different schools with alcohol and the insatiable d...

Ten years gone.

This week marked ten years since I graduated from high school. Sometimes cliches are true - time really does fly. Ten years is a long time - over a third of my life - but the years since walking across that stage have flown by to the point where it's almost impossible to think about everything that has happened in between now and then. I've earned two degrees and work in the field in which I studied. I've lived in Philly, Richmond, and Chicago. I've traveled. I've voted. I've loved. I've lost.  The period after high school has brought about tremendous change for myself and my peers, as it should. From teenager, to adolescent, to young adult, to a [somewhat] mature adult, I've progressed through the most impactful years of my life and have learned about myself and others on my path to becoming who I'm destined to be. Peers change. Interests change. Jobs change. Residences change. Outlooks change. We all change - it's how we evolve. But...